Buying baby walking shoes is a huge milestone in your little one’s development. For parents, it's also an exciting time.
A growing tot is a joy to shop for. There are so many cute and stylish options to choose from that can also help with your baby’s walking progression.
Read on to find out what your baby's growing feet and new skill need.
When Should Babies Start Wearing Shoes?
As soon as a baby begins walking outside, it’s recommended that he or she wears shoes. This usually happens between the ages of 12 and 18 months.
It’s best to consult with a pediatrician to determine if your baby is ready for walking shoes. They can advise you about your toddler’s foot development, and what is appropriate for his or her age and situation.
Learning to walk requires babies to feel the ground beneath their tiny feet to develop balance and coordination. Going barefoot or just wearing socks allows them to develop these skills organically.
Having said that, certain circumstances, such as rain or cold weather, may require babies to wear footwear before taking their first steps. Soft baby shoes can protect your happy crawler's delicate feet from hard surfaces.
4 Tips for Choosing The Best Walking Shoes For Babies
When it comes to choosing the best baby shoes for new walkers, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
1. Prioritize comfort
Babies’ feet are delicate. Look for shoes with a wide toe box that allows room for their little toes to wiggle and move freely. Lightweight, flexible, and soft soles also contribute to a comfortable fit.
Walking shoes with thick soles or rigid designs can make it harder for babies to feel the ground and adjust their movements accordingly when learning how to walk.
2. Find out what features to look for when selecting baby shoes
Before you head to the shoe store, make a checklist of features your baby's walking shoes should have. Some of the essentials are:
- Breathable materials: Choose shoes made from breathable materials like leather, canvas, or mesh. You will be able to keep your baby's feet cool and prevent them from getting sweaty.
- Velcro straps or elastic openings: Choose shoes that are easy to put on and take off, like shoes. Getting your baby ready when heading out will be more convenient and less time-consuming.
- Non-slip soles/Traction: As your baby gets better at walking, shoes with non-slip soles can prevent slips and falls. Hard-bottom baby walking shoes often have ridged non-skid rubber soles that offer proper grip.
3. Make sure the fit is right
Footwear that is too big or too small can hurt your kid's feet and even affect their walking ability.
From the time a baby is 1 year old up to 2.5 years old, he or she will require a shoe size change every 2 to 3 months. So make sure to measure your baby's feet often to make sure they're wearing the correct size.
4. Consider the shoe style and design
While fit and functionality are essential, getting your baby a cute and stylish pair of shoes is a must. You need to choose one that goes well with your little one’s wardrobe.
Cute sneakers and classic mary janes are a favorite among parents. They are versatile and can be worn for any occasion.
Find The Best Baby Walking Shoes For Your Little One
Comfort, fit, style, and safety should be your top priorities when choosing shoes.
With these four tips in mind, you can have peace of mind knowing that you are giving your child the best footwear for their tiny feet.